• World Cinema is foreign (both in terms of non-English language and its breaking of mainstream – Hollywood – conventions).
• World Cinema offers a different kind of viewing experience (intellectual art cinema).
• World Cinema is less commercial than Hollywood.
• Hollywood dominates world screens.
• Hollywood is American.
Nine Queens as Transnational Cinema
• Transnational – reaching beyond national boundaries.
• Part of a new wave of Latin American urban dramas (Cidade of Deus, Amores Perros, Y Tu Mama Tambien etc).
• Influenced by US thrillers, gangster films, David Mamet, Tarantino.
• Very successful on international film festival circuits.
• Nine Queens – subsequently remade in the US (Criminal, 2004) and the basis for three Bollywood films.
Famous World Cinema Films:
1. House of flying daggers - Chinese
2. Amelie - French
3. City of God – Brazilian etc
(Information gathered from Seminar Slides via Unihub)